1. The Mets will be managed by Terry Collins next season, on a two-year deal with a club option, after his second straight 74-88 finish.
2. Every coach will return, including pitching coach Dan Warthen, who earned a two-year deal after the Mets finished 12th in the National League in ERA+, a year after the Mets finished 12th in the National League in ERA+.
3. The Mets have $25 million committed to David Wright and Jon Niese next year. Every other player, whether the arb-eligibles or not, can add to that total, but the salary budget will be…
4. …we don’t know. Sandy Alderson declined to say, nor re-endorse his $90-100 million payroll from June, which was merely to be competitive.
5. Fact 1 and Fact 2 suggest that Alderson and company know the Mets didn’t have the talent on hand to win.
6. Fact three and especially fact four make optimism that such conditions will change awfully difficult.