It’s been a long day in the reporting of David Wright’s negotiations with the New York Mets, and it’s only mid-afternoon.
Early this morning, Ken Rosenthal reported that the Mets have offered Wright 6/100, an offer geared toward getting refused.
“The Mets offered Wright a six-year, $100 million contract extension on Monday, according to major-league sources.
“It is an offer that Wright is certain to refuse.
“Wright, who is under contract for $16 million in 2013, prefers a deal of seven years or longer, sources say.”
Adam Rubin, however, has a different take.
“The New York Mets have offered a contract extension to David Wright that would keep the All-Star third baseman with the club at least through 2020, a major league source told ESPNNewYork.com.
“The source said Wright had been offered at least a seven-year extension by the Mets, on top of the $16 million he is owed for 2013.
“A second source who has spoken with Mets officials said “they’ve been really optimistic” an extension will be reached with Wright.”
So, which is it? Or is it both, with the phrase “seven-year extension” tied to vesting options, or for less money per season, etc.?
We’ll see. Either way, it is better than no news at all, with the winter meetings less than a week away.
UPDATE! Ken Rosenthal has Mets offering seven years, $135-140 million.
This is fair market value for Wright. Now we’ll see if Wright wants to stay.