- The Lohud Mets Blog - http://mets.lohudblogs.com -
Fifth Starter Rankings, From Bad to Worse
Posted By Howard Megdal On May 4, 2012 @ 11:11 am In Today's Mets headlines | Comments Disabled
So the Mets have said they are going to announce who their fifth starter will be sometime Friday. I don’t know about you, but my entire productivity has shut down while I impatiently await the announcement. Will it be one guy who probably shouldn’t be on a major league roster? Or a different guy who probably shouldn’t be on a major league roster? This kind of drama is why we all love baseball.
While we see if Garrett Olson or Jeremy Hefner gets the Golden Ticket- and by Golden Ticket, I mean the right to hold a rotation spot as long as they pitch around five innings and give up four runs or less- here’s my ranking of the potential fifth starters.
1. None of the Above- the Mets need to go elsewhere to get a better option. Seriously, Roy Oswalt for a few months, Javier Vazquez coaxed out of retirement, Pedro Martinez- none of these are particularly good ideas, and the Mets probably don’t have the excess capital to make it happen anyway. But they stand a better chance of helping the Mets than the current alternatives.
2. Chris Schwinden- believe it! He’s the best they have. His K rate isn’t good at Triple-A, but it is better than Hefner. His walk rate is much better than Olson’s. This is not an endorsement. It is grudging acceptance.
3. Garrett Olson- he’s a failed MLB starter. He’s walking five batters per nine innings at Triple-A. But at least he misses bats.
4. Jeremy Hefner- good control, but way too reliant on balls in play to be effective, especially with the current Mets defense.
5. Dylan Owen- think a poor man’s Dillon Gee. But very poor. Like, had a bunch of his money in the stock market back in ‘08, and took what was left of it after the crash and invested in Groupon.
6. Matt Harvey- the best of the bunch right now, but at the expense of vital minor league development. Pass.
So. Who’s excited?!?
More important: Arizona comes to town, and the guy who beat out Kirk Nieuwenhuis for NL Rookie of the Month, Wade Miley, pitches tonight. I’m assuming the Mets will seek vengeance.
Article printed from The Lohud Mets Blog: http://mets.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://mets.lohudblogs.com/2012/05/04/fifth-starter-rankings-from-bad-to-worse/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.blinklist.com/index.php?Action=Blink/addblink.php&Url=http%3A%2F%2Fmets.lohudblogs.com%2F2012%2F05%2F04%2Ffifth-starter-rankings-from-bad-to-worse%2F&Title=Fifth%20Starter%20Rankings%2C%20From%20Bad%20to%20Worse
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share