FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) – Mets pitcher Johan Santana says “the case is closed” regarding a woman who accused him of raping her in Florida last year.
The state attorney’s office declined to prosecute the case in January. It said, “There is not enough evidence to prove lack of consent,” and that “the alleged victim’s statement is not consistent with other witnesses.”
Santana addressed what happened briefly on Wednesday. The Mets say they are aware of the situation and “it’s a personal matter.”
According to a sheriff’s report, Santana was with the woman on a golf course in a gated Lee County community on the night of Oct. 27. The woman says Santana forced himself sexually on her.
The woman told detectives that she repeatedly told Santana that she didn’t want to have sex. Afterward, she said she watched him play tennis.