The Mets (5-6-1) avoided a fourth consecutive loss to the Washington Nationals (6-5-1) as they battled back from a 5-0 deficit, scoring four runs in the seventh and tying it in the ninth. John Maine had another rough outing, giving up five earned runs in three innings of work, including two home runs, two strikeouts and two walks. On the bright side, six other Mets pitchers, including Eddie Kunz who went two frames, combined for seven shut-out innings.
The game ended in the 10th tied 5-5, with the respective team managers not opting to go any further.
Some highlights from the game:
- First baseman Nick Evans had two hits, including a triple, two runs, a walk and an RBI.
- Colorado Rockies pickup Cory Sullivan, who batted in the lead-off spot and played center field, had three hits, an RBI, two walks and run.
- Marlon Anderson played second base and had a three-hit day.
- Right fielder Ryan Church was 2-4 with an RBI and a strikeout.
- Defensively, it was a pretty ugly outing with four errors committed by the Mets.
The Mets have an off day Wednesday before hosting the Florida Marlins at 7:10 p.m. Thursday.