Ambiorix Burgos – remember him? – had $270,000 worth of jewelry stolen from his room at the SpringHill Suites in Port St. Lucie.
Burgos said police have recovered some of the jewels, and in the future he’ll store his bounty in the clubhouse safe.
Did this guy get some kind of big signing bonus as a Royal? I don’t recall that he was making enough $$ to own 270K of jewels or is he as dumb as he appeared on the mound and blew whatever $$ he had to have some stupid bling around his neck?
Serves him right for the money he’s stolen from this organization since he got here.
Serves him right for all the money he’s stolen from this organization since getting here.
He must have a good broker.
Burgos 3 yrs in majors. Maybe he made about 1MM before taxes, 600K after-270k for jewels=300k left. Not too bright.
We aren’t talking about the sharpest knife in the drawer.-JD
JD: Is an opinion grounds for libel? :-)
Another reason why the trade of Bannister (at least as an fan observing his comments-verbal and video) who appeared to have a decent light bulb in his head for Burgos who spends 1/2 his after tax earnings on some dumb jewels was a dumb trade for a dumb player.
One last comment.
When you go to the dictionary and look up the phrase, “Million dollar arm, 10 cent head”, you’ll see a pic of Burgos.
Good job Delcos in smearing this guy. I’m sure the press will pat you on the back.
Scoop: How do you know that Burgos’s family doesn’t have millions? Maybe he could afford to do what he did because he has money in the first place.
I think the chances of Burgos family having $$ is slim to none coming from the DR, one of the poorest countries in the world.
Don’t know anything about Ambies money situation but in poor countries most of the money is had by a very few. 98% may be dirt poor but the other 2% have more moeny than god.
Baseball-reference estimates Burgos’s lifetime earnings at $754,500. Perhaps this jewelry appraisal is inflated, but aren’t there far more intelligent uses for money? A decent home, a good stock and bonds portfolio? There were articles last month that Jim Leyritz has spent almost all of the $10 million he has earned. I hope for Burgos’s sake they catch the thieves and recover his property. But do something intelligent with it. Clubs and the players union do offer financial advice but you have to listen and follow it. No one makes it to the majors without working hard. Don’t lose it.
Gurney, “Perhaps this jewelry appraisal is inflated, but arenâ€™t there far more intelligent uses for money? A decent home, a good stock and bonds portfolio? Clubs and the players union do offer financial advice but you have to listen and follow it.”
My point exactly. It is not very intelligent to spend all your money on some dopey jewlery. It is even more unintelligent to leave it in a hotel room.
To me, Burgos is dumb. His actions on the field (trying to throw the ball as hard as possible w/o thinking-ie., pitching) portray him to be so and this incident further enhances it.
Anyway, it appears police found most of the items. I hope he learn a lesson about keeping valuables in a safe place. And I hope he learns to listen to some sound financial advice and I hope he listens to the coaches about how to pitch. Don’t waste your talents in life.
I’m sure when Omar traded Bannister he was figuring that he wasn’t going to become a better pitcher than Mike Pelfrey. Geez. Burgos throws 100 MPH, he is young, the kind of arm you want to have in the organization. Not a 28 year old Henry Owens, not a 27 yr old Matt Lindstrom, but a 23 year old. Geez people enough with the bellyaching about this trade. It was a worthwhile gamble. Bannister should have been easily replaceable by Pelfrey or Humber. But again, no one was expecting Bannister to be better. It’s also not Omar’s fault that he got injured as well.
Comments are closed