Here’s ten things I think the Mets should do this off-season:
1. Fix Jose Reyes: The mercurial shortstop went into a second-half funk that the team is currently content to write off as a slump. I’m not so sure. Willie Randolph and Omar Minaya need to get inside ReyesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ head. ReyesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ slide coincided with the hiring of coach Rickey Henderson and that must be re-evaluated.
2. Re-sign Tom Glavine: I know this isnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t a popular choice, but in 16 of his 34 starts Glavine gave up two or fewer runs and was the only starter with 200 innings. ThatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s not easily replaceable.Ã‚Â They need him because of the durability questions surrounding Pedro Martinez and Orlando Hernandez, and uncertainty of Mike Pelfrey and Phil Humber.
3. Release Guillermo Mota: His psyche is shot and this is a pointless reclamation project. They should cut their losses and move on.
4. Go after Chad Cordero: The price for Cordero was high during the season, but considering the collapse they should pony up and make the deal. The bullpen blew 17 save opportunities, with most of them the bridge to Billy Wagner.
5. Figure out a temporary plan for Mike Pelfrey and Phil Humber: If Glavine is re-signed and there are no rotation subtractions, thereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s no immediate need for Pelfrey and Humber to start, so an attempt should be made to see if they can work in relief. There is little in the free-agent bullpen market so they need to look from within.
6. Be prepared to lose Aaron Heilman:Ã‚Â Heilman did not have a good season and his heart isnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t in the bullpen.Ã‚Â He wonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t get the opportunity to start, so this is the time to deal. They turned down packages of Heilman and Lastings Milledge for pitching. If they get the chance this time they shouldnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t hold off.
7. Re-sign catcher Paul Lo Duca: ThereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s baggage with him, but he played well late when he was healthy. There’s little in the catching free-agent market to replace him.
8. Bring back Moises Alou: When he was healthy he hit.Ã‚Â With no guarantee Milledge or Carlos Gomez will produce in a fulltime role, the Mets need a veteran outfield presence and if they donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t re-sign Alou they will seek to sign somebody like him.
9. Bring back Luis Castillo and Damion Easley: Both free-agent infielders were productive, and if not re-signed theyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll need to be replaced. Castillo answered the question about the second place hitter and played a solid second base. On the days his right knee acts up Easley is the perfect replacement.
10. Sign the Adam Dunn: There will be a hole in the outfield with Shawn Green not coming back and a need to replace Carlos Delgado after next season. I know all about the strikeouts, but Dunn can fill both holes and add 40 homers and high on-base percentage to the batting order.