Just got off the phone with Omar Minaya, and here’s what’s going on:
- Scott Schoeneweis is signed. Minaya said he’s a ground ball pitcher and would fill the same role as Chad Bradford from last year. Schoeneweis gives the Mets two lefty options in the eighth (bringing in Billy Wagner early is the other).
- The Mets signed Jorge Sosa to a one-year deal. “We brought him in for his versatility,’’ Minaya said. Sosa has a power arm and could compete for the fifth starter role, although that’s not why he was signed.
- Said Mike Pelfrey and Phil Humber are fine physically. Minaya said the Mets wanted to be conservative with them during the Arizona Fall League, which is why they were shut down early. “We could have pushed them, but why bother?’’ Minaya said.
- Said this is the team the Mets will likely enter spring training with, that there’s not much else out there. A trade with Oakland appears highly unlikely.
- Said the following would compete for the last three slots in the rotation: John Maine, Oliver Perez, Dave Williams, Alay Soler, Jason Vargas, Mike Pelfrey and Phil Humber.
- Said nothing has changed with Pedro Martinez. He’s feeling fine and not expected back until the second half.