Mets could be busy this week working on the following issues:
TOM GLAVINE: Player option, $7.5 million, Nov. 10 deadline. Team has Nov. 20 option for $14 million. They are talking and will meet somewhere in the middle. It was reported two-year, $25 million contract being negotiated. Mets deny this, but then again, they would never admit it, either. Supposedly, the issue is his family wanting him to stay at home and pitch for the Braves. But, he hasn’t filed, yet. That tells me he wants to stay.
PEDRO MARTINEZ: Told AP in Dominican he would retire if he couldn’t comeback from shoulder surgery. Not a big surprise. He said the same thing several times this year that he didn’t want to be a shadow of himself. Rehab is a long process. As I said, Mets have to think of him as a bonus.
CHAD BRADFORD: Key reliever they want back. Talks are going on. Threw a lot of innings and is a priority. Doesn’t make much and deserves two years.
GUILLERMO MOTA: GM Omar Minaya said they would re-evaluate interest after suspension was announced. Because he’ll miss 50 games at the start of season, he’ll scare off much of the field and lower his value. Mets could wait on him.
JOSE VALENTIN/JULIO LUGO: They’ve had eyes on Lugo for a long time. Valentin had comeback year for them at $900K, but wants assurances of starting and would like two years. He’s overreaching. But, Lugo isn’t worth the $4-plus million he made last year.
WILLIE RANDOLPH: Minaya has talked to Willie about extension, but not his agent.
MARK MULDER: Have been in contact. But has shoulder problems and is a gamble.
BARRY ZITO: Have not declared their interest, but we know it is coming. Agent is Boras and word is he’ll ask for six years.