A beautiful day at Shea. They should all be like this for the playoffs. I just came up from the clubhouse a few moments ago. The team is stretching in the outfield before working out.
Here’s what’s going on:
* A lot of attention was paid to Carlos Beltran, who had a great playoffs in 2004. The spotlight always picks somebody in October and it picked him then. He said he had never been hotter, and welcomes it again. He’ll be the focus of my coverage tomorrow in The Journal News and at lohud.com. Be sure to catch it.
* Mets announced a taxi squad to work out in Port St. Lucie, Fla., during the playoffs in case of an injury. Royce Ring, Heath Bell, Dave Williams, Ricky Ledee and Lastings Milledge will be on it.
* Pedro Martinez’s rotator cuff surgery is set for Thursday. He’s expected to make an appearance tomorrow. A no-show so far today.
* Steve Trachsel’s flight from the West Coast was canceled last night. He’ll be here later today.
* Mets say keeping Furcal off the bases and scoring early will be two keys.
* After the workout, Orlando Hernandez will hold court and talk about starting Game 1. I’ll have a pearl or two from him later.
Talk with you later, and check in because I’ll be posting throughout the afternoon.
Follow the Mets in the playoffs on LoHud.com/mlbplayoffs.