Raining here at Shea, so maybe Shawn Green’s debut will get pushed back a day.
Anyway, a lot is going on, so let me get you up to speed:
* For those betting Green would bat sixth, you can collect your winnings. “We have to bat his somewhere,” Willie Randolph said in a non-answer. Actually, getting a left-handed bat behind David Wright factored into his reasoning. Green’s power isn’t what it used to be, but with Beltran-Delgado-Wright ahead of him, he should get plenty of RBI opportunities.
* Jose Valentin is in the lineup, but if they play it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets scratched because the wet turf isn’t compatible with his hammy, which he said is better but not 100 percent.
* Orlando Hernandez is tired, arm and body, he said, and will be pushed back to the Colorado series. Brian Bannister will start Friday.
* Tom Glavine is to throw tomorrow, after which we could get a better idea of when he’ll pitch. He’s pushing for early next week.
* Ricky Ledee was designated for assignment to make room for Green.
* I asked Jose Reyes who the Mets will play in the World Series. His response: “It doesn’t matter to me.” Evidently, he thinks it will happen. Better than thinking otherwise.
The line-ups are:
SS Jose Reyes: .294, 15, 65
C Paul Lo Duca: .310, 4, 37
CF Carlos Beltran: .286, 36, 103
1B Carlos Delgado: .260, 31, 86
3B David Wright: .298, 22, 90
RF Shawn Green: .283, 11, 51
2B Jose Valentin: .285, 12, 49
LF Endy Chavez: .300, 3, 31
LHP Dave Williams: 2-3, 6.90 ERA